HOUSING AUTHORITY OF THE COUNTY OF MERCED
Dept.: Public Housing
Date: September 19, 2017
Title: Maintenance Manager
Job #: 471
Total Pages: 3
Salary Range: $1,503.85 – $2,150.00 (Bi-weekly)
Under the general supervision of the Director of Housing Programs this position is responsible for the management and maintenance of the properties under their jurisdiction. This position supervises, coordinates, assigns and review of the maintenance department pertaining to all grounds, buildings and equipment owned by the Housing Authority or related non-profits and maintaining them in accordance with policies and procedures as established by the Authority. Performs other duties as directed within the classification.
B. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
This management team position of Maintenance Manager is given the following responsibilities for executing the following duties. These duties include but are not limited to:
1. Planning, scheduling, directing and inspection of all maintenance activities.
2. Supervising and training of employees.
3. Assists in interviewing and hiring of staff.
4. Evaluates the performance of staff during probationary periods and annually.
5. Assists in budget planning and preparation.
6. Supervises tenants and is a point of contact for the public, outside third-party agencies and government bodies.
7. Develops and prioritizes maintenance work assignments.
8. Coordinates scheduling of all repairs and preventative maintenance activities for all properties.
9. Compiles and maintains accurate maintenance records, files and various reporting systems for all repairs scheduled and performed.
10. Assists in preparing budgets, determining needs in regard to maintenance staffing, equipment and supplies.
11. Reviews entries of all maintenance work order requests within the work order system.
12. Insures prompt completion and close-out of all work orders.
13. Responsible for compiling of accurate annual inventories of Authority and related non-profit owned property.
14. Maintains vehicle fleet records and coordinates vehicle and equipment maintenance.
15. Schedules assignment of maintenance material supplies per current Agency policies, and develops a priority system for responding to maintenance request.
16. Performs on-site monitoring of assigned properties as required.
17. Supervises tenants regarding painting specifications for maintenance work as needed and participates in recommendations for rehabilitation and new construction projects.
18. Dispatches appropriate personnel and resources to respond to emergency after-hour situations.
19. Initiates and writes correspondence, and prepares oral and written reports.
20. Coordinates maintenance resources and property administration with the Property Manager.
21. Develops lines of communication with other Housing Authority staff, clients, contractors, general public, outside agencies and government bodies.
22. Performs other related duties and responsibilities as required within classification.
C. OTHER DUTIES AND ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS:
Must demonstrate a background and experience in the field of grounds and building maintenance, and the handling and operation of mechanical equipment. Must be able to plan and supervise the work of maintenance staff as well as coordinate work details. Ability to prepare clear and concise reports, and demonstrate a working knowledge of resources required in the maintenance and repair of housing structures. Must have technical skills comparable to that of a journeyman pertaining to maintenance
of facilities. The ability to be bilingual in English/Spanish or English/Hmong-Laotian is helpful but not required.
Must demonstrate the ability to meet and work positively with people and work independently with a minimum of supervision. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other Housing Authority management and technical staff, residents, vendors and contractors. Effectively coordinate, organize, and implement work activities. Necessary to possess a working knowledge of the operation of standard office equipment such as but not limited to the following: calculator, copy machine, fax machine, and typewriter.
This position is classified as a management-equivalent position and is therefore Exempt.
D. WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Must be able to verify that physical condition is satisfactory for the requirements of the job. Employees must demonstrate the ability to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation for disabled individuals as defined within the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended. Initial employment shall be conditional on such verification as determined by a required standard pre-employment physical at the expense of the Employer. Existing Authority employees are exempt from satisfying these criteria regarding the conditionality of employment prefaced by a pre-employment physical.
To be an employee of the Authority, a person must be a citizen of the United States, or an alien who has been either lawfully admitted for permanent residence, or authorized to be directed by the Attorney General. Must also attest to the fact that he/she is a United States citizen or alien admitted for permanent residence or authorized employment, and must provide supporting documents to show identity and employment authorization.
E. EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
At least five (5) years of increasingly responsible experience or training in a public housing authority; non-profit housing provider; public or private construction-related business; real estate/property management firm, or any other public or private enterprise in which the essential functions of this job were regularly performed Within the five (5) years of experience requirement, there must be at least two (2) years in a supervisorial capacity.
Equivalent to completion of an Associate Degree, 60 semester units or more at an accredited college or university in business/public administration or related field. One (1) year of experience in housing management, building maintenance/construction field may be substituted for 24 semester units toward the education requirement.
F. LICENSES, REGRISTRATIONS, ACCREDITATION, ETC.:
Mandatory to possess a valid California Driver’s License and must be acceptable for coverage under Authority’s auto liability insurance carrier.